Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bamako, Mali 10/03/2010

Today was my day of naps. I woke up early, made coffee, and checked my email. My eyes began to get heavy, so I curled up in bed and was asleep before I knew it. Then the phone rang and the lady at the desk said there was a man here to see me. I went downstairs to the lobby, and it was a patient from two years ago. He had a photo of him after his operation, and asked me about each care-giver in the photo. He had had his lip repaired by Roberto and was quite happy with the result. I think he had a tumor on his lip, was a professor of history, and a very sweet middle-aged man. Anyway, he got to see myself, Scott and Jacques, and I told him the rest of the team was not here this year. But we will let them know!

About the same time, the rest of the team arrived back from their trip. Stories abound, and all went well. Lots of touring, shopping, and tales - good and bad. Overall a great outing, and everyone well.



After lunch most of the group went shopping, which I had done to my limit yesterday, so I stayed home. Got another nap! Went downstairs to visit, two people were swimming in the pool, and we all made plans for dinner.

For the first time, the team split up. Some went for dinner at a traditional African restaurant, and the rest of us went for Thai food. Problem was the restaurant was closed. Not a problem for long, as we walked next door to the Appaloosa, a Tex-Mex restaurant (can you IMAGINE?).

Texas auto plates on the wall, popcorn and nuts for snacks, waiters with corny-looking cowboys hats (black), and blonde caucasian waitresses. Menu of many beers, Italian, pizzas, burgers, BBQ, and Lebanese. Very odd. I got spaghetti as did Deb, two others got pizza, and the other two had burritos. Everyone was happy!

Taxi ride home, and crash again. Got a good photo of the room, which has two rooms with sinks - one with a toilette, and one with a shower. Lots of options!

No comments: