Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Sarasota, Florida June 13, 2012


OK, I promise today will be more upbeat.

We hit Atlanta, Georgia right before dawn. My first ever stop in Georgia. Yeah? Everyone seemed cheery enough, and since I never stepped outside, I guess that is my impression of Georgia. Watched the news for a bit and they kept showing an SUV that flipped over in a high speed chase, and an 18 month old spilled out the window. He was OK, but what are people thinking? The car had righted itself, so someone jumped out to grab him, but the car drove away and left them both. Can we have an entrance exam or something before people have kids?

Short nice flight to Sarasota. Couldn't see out the window as I was on the aisle, but it was sunny and clear. My first impression of the airport was that lots of money was put into it - plantings, sculptures, art, fountains, tile, WOW. This fountain had a manatee at the top, and made it look like the lower floor was flooding.



Got a rental car - a no-key version with talking GPS. Fun toy; so far she has been right. My room wasn't ready, so I went to Whole Foods to stock up. Waiting in the hotel lobby and fell asleep; they woke me when the room was ready. Unpacked and napped again. Flying has a way of taking the wind out of my sails.

Saw Ryan briefly for dinner, then he went off to practice. He will be playing Rhapsody in Blue with the Sarasota Orchestra on Saturday night at the Opera House. He will be very busy with all of that, but I am excited to be here.

I made a short side-trip to Siesta Keys Beach, voted the #1 beach in the U.S. It was gorgeous with its white sand, clear warm water, and endless blue skies, but too many people and I am not used to seeing beaches without trees and craggy rocks like we have in Humboldt. Looked very flat and plain.










The sand was very interesting though. Very white; the texture of flour but whiter; almost blue, like calcium carbonate. The sign said it is quartz, washed into the Gulf from the Appalachian mountains. Something about it makes it repel heat - it was cool underfoot, and silky. Very nice.
























Met Ryan at his rehearsal room and watched a bit of the orchestra practice. I am often moved to tears just to hear what human collaboration can create as opposed to the destruction it can bring. They were practicing a Mozart violin concerto no. 4 with Joseph Silverstein on violin and Larry Rachleff conducting. It is going to be phenomenal.

http://www.sarasotaorchestra.org/sarasotamusicfestival/virtuosicwonder.cfm?calendar

Ryan and I went to historic old town to sample the local micro brew. One of Ryan's hobbies is to make beer, and it was fun to hear his take on their creations. We stopped in a place called Darwin's and both agreed Humboldt's beers are better. They did bring us some plantain chips with green parsley Chimichurri originating from Argentina that were worth the trip. Now on to a full-night's sleep to catch up and get ready for tomorrow. Ryan needs a jacket, I want to visit the botanical gardens, and Merry Carol arrives!

No comments: