Friday, October 28, 2016

October 27, 2016 Travel week to Zimbabwe

Wait, did I say 24 hours of travel?  In my dreams.

Started leaving my house at 9 am on Monday; arrived at Harare International Airport Thursday evening and then at the sanctuary by 8 pm.  Even taking the time change into account, that was over 72 hours in transit.  Of course this includes the glitches, but who can expect to travel anymore these days without them?

Started getting calls and texts from United Monday morning that the flight was delayed, delayed, and delayed.  Then at about 5 pm waiting at the airport, it was cancelled.  Connecting from one high cancel airport to another, it is never a surprise.  Everyone was blaming SFO weather and delays, but then suspiciously we all fit onto the 8:45 pm flight.  Made me wonder if United saw a chance to combine two flights into one?

Spent the night in a hotel at SFO; at least I made it this far and would be there for the next day's flight out.  Had a relaxing sleep and exercise, leisurely arrival at the airport, and plenty of time to get through security.

I have never had an Emirates flight that wasn't perfect.  Got into Dubai at about 7 pm.  They put everyone up in a hotel whose connections were in the morning.  Another good night's sleep, except for the time change.  Nice view of the Burj Khalifa out the window, the tallest building in the world at 2717 feet (828 meters or a little over 1/2 mile).  Quite odd coming up out of flat sands and a nearly homogeneously colored landscape.  Dubai has little in common with Arcata.



Flight to Harare went fine, with a stop in Lusaka, Zambia.  Had a lovely seat mate who could not speak English very well, but she was very interested in my Sudoku book, so I taught her how to do it and let her try one.  She spent the rest of the flight doing puzzles and was so delighted with herself when she figured it out that I gave the book to her.  She was a quick study!



My bag was the last one off the plane; no small feat to endure as with the increasing number of bags that come off, the hope of receiving one's baggage goes down.  I did not want to be in another country without my bag, especially since I had packed many treats and items for the animal trust.  But then it appeared and off I went.  Collin was waiting for me, the manager of the Twala Trust, and we made the 1 hour drive together to the animal sanctuary.  Arrived at 8 pm, and what a treat; worth waiting for.

No comments: